Above: In early July 600 families received a bag of rice.
COVID-19 -- Impact on Haiti & Belle-Rivière
Due in part to years of fighting cholera, Haiti has managed to control the onslaught of COVID-19 much better than many of its neighbors but the number of cases has increased rapidly in the past 30 days. The majority of cases are still found in population centers. Those in the countryside have suffered most from hunger. In "good" times hunger is never far away. Before the virus Haiti was suffering from political unrest and the effects of a drought. The virus brought isolation and upset to the ever-fragile-economy making their situation considerably worse. Community leaders at B-R asked FBR to support another emergency rice distribution for "the most needy." FBR needed only to provide finances. Local coordinators knew how to acquire the rice and distribute it in a equitable way.
Finding the best way to distribute rice to those "most in need" is not an easy task. Non recipients are most sensitive to any perception of bias. Fortunately three previous distributions (following the earthquake, a drought, and Hurricane Matthew) have taught this community to trust their leadership. Recipients waited patiently until it was their turn to enter the Community Center to collect a bag of rice.
One allotment doesn't fix a chronic hunger problem but a lot of people will be LESS hungry for a while, thanks to one bag of rice.
A diminutive notice which doesn't even mention rice was given to each recipient head-of-household. It says: This ticket will give you access to the premises of TPC Sunday July 5, 2020 beginning at 9 am for a brief encounter. A mask is required. Thank you. The leadership of TPC.
(TPC—"Team for the Progress of the Community," the local coordinators)
View of the road outside the Community Center in both directions as recipients await their turn to enter.
2. RISING HUNGER IN LATIN AMERICA & THE CARIBBEAN
UN News — JUNE 16, 2020
3. BEHIND THE COVID NUMBERS IN HAITI
NACLA Report — JUNE 9, 2020
4. CURRENT STATISTICS
Haiti Libre — JULY 10, 2020
- Belle-Rivière area: no known cases
- Miragoâne (nearest city): 46 cases
- Department of Nippes (Haiti has 11 departments): 101 cases
- Total Cases in Haiti: 6,582 (.0006% of population of 11.4 million)
- Domincan Republic (same island): 19,522 cases (.018% of population of 10.6 million)
- Cuba (nearest neighbor): 73 cases (.000006% of population of 11.3 million)
- United States: 3,118,143 cases (.001% of population of 328 million)